Spring is the perfect time to go through your home and clean things up. At Chem-Dry Windy City, our goal is to help you have a cleaner, healthier, and happier home. That’s why we’ve put together our top cleaning tips for spring cleaning!
- Wipe down your countertops. this is something that you should be doing regularly, but if it’s been a while since you last wiped down your countertops, take a minute and do it now! Countertops are where we prepare the food that we feed our family, but it’s also a hotspot for germs, dirt, bacteria, etc. If you have a granite or tile countertop, it’s best to use a mild cleaner, preferably one that can refresh the sealer. Sealers can degrade over time and it’s important to keep that sealer fresh to prevent bacteria from getting into the porous areas of the stone.
- Give your carpets and rugs special attention. Hopefully, you’re vacuuming your rugs and carpets regularly. However, that’s often not enough. While vacuuming does pick up dirt and dust on the surface, there can be a lot of bacteria and allergens trapped deep down within the fibers of the carpet – including pet dander and urine, particle pollution and everyday dirt and dust. While these toxins may not be visible to homeowners, they can still cause unpleasant health issues and allergy symptoms for you and your family. In order to get your carpets fully clean, you should call in a professional carpet cleaner 1-3 times a year, and what better time than spring cleaning?
- While you’re at it, remember your upholstered furniture. Most people think about vacuuming and cleaning their carpets and rugs but they forget about cleaning their upholstery. Just think about how much time you and your family spend on your furniture every day. Our furniture is the perfect landing place for dust, dirt, and allergens from our air and clothing. Vacuuming upholstered furniture is nearly as easy and is just as important as carpets, particularly in the high-traffic areas like family rooms. You can also call in a professional furniture cleaner to get a deeper clean.
- Sanitize the places you touch the most. Think about where you spend the most time in your home and what you touch the most. Commonly touched items include doorknobs, toilet handles, faucets, and light switches. Think about how many germs are sitting on each of those surfaces Wipe them down with an anti-bacterial wipe or other sanitizing product.
- Put down doormats or area rugs in entryways and high-traffic areas. This isn’t exactly a cleaning task, but it will save you a lot of time cleaning in the future. If you don’t have doormats or rugs in your entryways, you are tracking a lot of dirt into your home. Using doormats and area rugs is an effective and inexpensive way to prevent unwanted and unhealthy particles from getting deeper into your home or from remaining in the air where they can spread more easily to members of the family.
- Replace your heating and air conditioning filters. All of the air in your home passes through your furnace and air conditioner at some point or another. This means that if your filter is dirty, all of the air in your home will be dirty. It’s important to change the furnace air filter at regular intervals to prevent dirt, dust and other unhealthy particles from being distributed around the house. Spring is the perfect time to do this before you start using the air conditioner every day in the summer.
We hope that these tips help you with your spring cleaning and creating a happier, healthier home!